In today’s lesson we will be reviewing two different types of essay:
- Comparing Maps
- Giving Instructions
The Structure for Comparing maps is as follows:
Describing the Maps Structure
Should consist of 3 three sentences. The first sentence should be a general statement, The second sentence should talk about what you can see and the third statement should tell the reader what you’re going to do
The body paragraph should generally describe the differences between the two maps as well as the positions of different things. Remember that this is only a summary so talk about the main changes. (It should be about 6 sentences long)
Start off your concluding paragraph with a concluding statement (like “To sum up” “To conclude”) then mention the biggest change and how things have changed overall.
Look at the diagram below and using the structure write a suitable response using the lined paper provided:
Now use the checklist below to review through your completed essay:
- Does the essay have 3 paragraphs (introduction, body and conclusion)?
- Does the essay tell you what the maps show?
- Does the essay mention what the major change is?
- Does the essay talk about the major changes?
Giving Instructions (Review)
The structure for giving instructions is as follows:
Giving Instructions (Essay Structure)
When giving instructions use the following 3 paragraph essay:
Should include 3 sentences
- A general sentence possibly describing the sport you will be describing
- A sentence talking about the picture and what it shows
- A thesis statement describing what you will be doing
Describe the different steps if what your describing. Remember to use sequence words such as: first, second, third & finally
Make sure your conclusions starts with a concluding statement (for example to sum up, to conclude). Finish your conclusion with a general observation about the steps you have described. “To conclude we can see that to lift weights you need three basic steps”
Now that you have reviewed the structure for giving instructions look at the picture below that shows how to do a high jump
The picture below shows you how to do a high jump:
Once you have completed use the checklist below to review what you have writte
- Do you have three paragraphs
- Does your introduction include the following things: a general statement; a sentence talking about what the pictures sho; a thesis statement
- In your second paragraph describe the different and remember to use sequence words
- In your conclusion make sure that you use a concluding phrase and a general statement about the picture