In today’s lesson we are going to look at a different essay prompt that can appear in your SWQ exam. Have a look at the title below:
How has industrialization changed water purity over time?
What kind of essay is this ?? What kind of structure would you need??
Share your ideas in the Padlet link below:
What kind of essay is this
Using the internet try and find information related to the essay prompt: How has industrialization changed water purity over time? Remember that you need to find information related to changes that have taken place and also the causes for these changes.
Share your ideas on the Padlet link below: Water purity
Now share your ideas to the class.
Use the following structure to help you with this kind of essay
||This essay will outline the changes in _____and highlight the causes for these changes.
Body 1: Describe the changes
||Many changes have taken place in _________.
· First, …..
· Example (For example ….)
· A second change is that …..
· Example (For instance ….)
Body 2: Causes of the change
||There are various/several reasons why ________ has / have changed.
· The main reason is that …..
· Another important reason for….. is that …
To sum up, …. (summarize the changes)
||I believe that these changes will (not) continue in the future because ……
Using the structure above write a response to the following question:
How has industrialization changed water purity over time ?
Remember to write a minimum of 250 words and to post in the padlet link: Change over time essays
Use the check list below to assess your own writing
Essay Check List
- Do you have an introduction
- Are there three sentences in your introductory paragraph : General statement; your opinion; thesis statement
- Do you have two body paragraphs
- Does each body paragraph have a supporting reason and three examples
- Do you have a conclusion
- Does your conclusion include a concluding phrase
- Have you restated your opinion in your conclusion and summarized your reasons
- Have you used the past tense
- Have you re-read what you have written to make sure it makes sense
- Have you used punctuation
- Do your sentences have full stops and capital letters
- Are your paragraphs clear
Extra Grammar Exercises
In today’s lesson we are going to be looking at the cross curricular essay which will be coming up in the SWQ exam. Here is a sample of the kind essay that you will be having
Describe the process of water purification
What kind of essay is this ? What kind of structure would you be expected to use?
Share your ideas in the Padlet below:
What kind of essay of this?
Pre Writing Task:
In order for us to understand the task that we have been set we need to do some research about the process of water purification. Watch the video below and take notes while you are watching, once you have finished taking notes use the internet to find more information about the process of water purification. Remember you are focusing on the different step of the process.
Use the notes that you have taken from the video and also from your web-research to share on the Padlet below the process of water purification
How does water purification work
When describing a process you should be using a template like the one below
Paragraph 1 (Introduction)
- Introduce the diagram
- Mention the main steps
- Thesis statement (What are you going to do)
Paragraph 2 (Body)
- Describe the process
- Use Sequence Words
- Use the Passive tense
Paragraph 3 (Conclusion)
- Concluding statement
- Mention the first and last cycle
- Use a sentence like this: To conclude we can see that the water cycle consists of ________ steps starting with ______________________ and ending with___________________
Use the template above to write a suitable description of the water purification process. You can use the picture below and your notes to help you:
Use the check list below too review your writing
- Do you have three paragraphs?- Introduction / Body / Conclusion
- Have you paraphrased the question in your introduction
- Do you mention what the diagram shows you in your introduction?
- Do you talk about how many steps there are in your introduction?
- Do you have a thesis statement (telling the reader what you will do) in your introduction?
- Does your body paragraph mention all the main steps?
- Does your body paragraph have sequence words?
- Are you using the passive tense in your body paragraph?
- In your conclusion do you have a concluding phrase (to sum up, to conclude)
- End your conclusion with a sentence like this: To conclude we can see that the water cycle consists of ________ steps starting with ______________________ and ending with___________________
Share your essays in the padlet below:
And read them to the class
Extra Grammar Exercise
Passive Tense Grammar Exercise: passive_present_simple-1s85vr2